Over at Not a Blog, George R.R. Martin has provided fans a lengthy update on The Winds of Winter, HBO’s successor shows, and more… and in the process lets the cat out of the bag regarding one project we here at Westeros.org have been working on for the last couple of years.
We’ll provide a quick summary below:
The Three Chroniclers, by Chase Stone.
- GRRM continues to work on The Winds of Winter, saying he made a great deal of progress in 2020, and somewhat less in 2021, but progress still goes forward.
- GRRM has also been working on continuing the Targaryen history, and is a couple of hundred pages in. He has a long way to go on it, however.
- George intends to write more Dunk & Egg novellas, to tell the rest of their story “especially since there’s a television series in development.
- This one we’ll quote, and will go into more detail on this book in a separate post: “There’s a lavish coffee table book coming later this year, an illustrated, condensed version of FIRE & BLOOD done with Elio Garcia and Linda Antonsson (my partners on THE WORLD OF ICE AND FIRE), and my Fevre River art director, Raya Golden. And another book after that, a Who’s Who in Westeros. And that’s just the books.”
- George is heavily involved in the successor shows because he’s doing his best to try and keep them “canonical”. He has loved what he’s seen of House of the Dragon so far.
- GRRM hints that there’s more in development or under consideration than what has already been announced or revealed over at HBO. Of the live action shows: Bruno Heller’s Nine Voyages has been renamed The Sea Snake, and Heller is working on the pilot script. Amanda Segel’s Ten Thousand Ships has a couple of pilot drafts in. GRRM has met with Steve Conrad to discuss A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms, or possibly The Hedge Knight.
- For the animated shows, the one he can discuss is The Golden Empire, previously revealed. He says he can’t say more about the other animated shows.
- GRRM is also working with writers, showrunners, diectors, and producers on other shows that have been announced where he’s an executive producer: Roadmarks for HBO, Dark Winds for AMC, Wild Cards for UCP and Peacock, and the Howard Waldrop adaptation Night of the Cooters which he has financed.
Posted at 17:28 CET by Elio
Tags: The Winds of Winter
, The Sea Snake
, The Hedge Knight
, Ten Thousand Ships
, Steve Conrad
, Nine Voyages
, Fire and Blood
, Dunk and Egg
, Bruno Heller
, Blood and Fire
, Amanda Segel
, A Song of Ice and Fire
, A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms
A Song of Ice and Fire
• George R.R. Martin
• House of the Dragon
• Game of Thrones
• Wild Cards
• Other Books and Projects